oldS.A.W.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The new site is up and running.
Please CLICK HERE to go to new site.

Or go to WWW.SMARTAPPSWORLD.COM

HomeHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Palm collapses and lays off people . . . THIS is sad View previous topic View next topic Go down
Q-Area51
Super Moderator

Q-Area51

Male
Age : Number of posts : 3476My Device : HTC TP - Q9cCarrier : VZWLocation : SE PA - USA

Palm collapses and lays off people . . . THIS is sad EmptySat Nov 22, 2008 7:26 pm

Palm collapses and lays off people
November 21, 2008 [Pocket PC phone] | By Edward J. R.

Tough times, tough times! Not just in mobile industry but generally in global economy due to recession and (upcoming) depression. In Windows Mobile phones market however it is perfect storm: not only economy is bad but also iPhone (in eyes of consumers!) and Google Android (in eyes of manufacturers!) are damaging business very much.

Anyway to put "Palm" label on HTC-manufactured handsets, is not the best business model of them all. It looks like Palm, after losing money (not being profitable) for 5 quarters, this loss blamed on restructuring (new Palm OS coming next year), now is about to fire people and close divisions:

200 people were let go from the US team on Thursday. Most of the cuts are claimed to be in the sales and marketing departments. Sources also postulate that Palm will be closing some offices in Europe and Asia as well.

To learn more, visit original source of this story about Palm layoffs:
http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/7257/a-round-of-layoffs-at-palm/

Commentary: Palm was a very good manufacturer of Windows Mobile phones but it looks like it may not survive till the release of their new OS (around summer 2009) and it may be overtaken by some other big manufacturer. While we are grateful to Palm for making Windows Mobile phones, the decision to make their own Linux-based OS instead of taking Google Android (destined to be the number one Linux based OS for all those tree-hugging hippies and liberals who don't like Microsoft) may result in total failure. Our impression is that some major manufacturer will purchase Palm next year and integrate its brand into their product portfolio. Palm is on the verge of bankruptcy...
Back to top Go down
Reply to topic
Crash Override
Super Moderator

Crash Override

Male
Age : Number of posts : 1994My Device : Q9CCarrier : SprintLocation : MN, USA

Palm collapses and lays off people . . . THIS is sad EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 12:31 am

It is terrible to see such huge companies go bust, motorola is in trouble as well....

I mean do they bank on like huge cell phone sales.....I mean in the usa htc was not really around 5 years ago (as far as I know, it wasn't big anyway) and LG and stuff as well

There is a lot more competition, and they cannot continue with the same business model as 12 years ago. But from what I hear, their managment is oldschool and doesn't want to change things up....
Back to top Go down
Reply to topic
The Crow
HTC Moderator

The Crow

Male
Age : 49Number of posts : 521My Device : HTC TOUCH PROCarrier : sprintLocation : TX

Palm collapses and lays off people . . . THIS is sad EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 2:09 pm

I have said this before. What you do in New York you cannot do in Mayberry.
Back to top Go down
Reply to topic
Q-Area51
Super Moderator

Q-Area51

Male
Age : Number of posts : 3476My Device : HTC TP - Q9cCarrier : VZWLocation : SE PA - USA

Palm collapses and lays off people . . . THIS is sad EmptySun Nov 23, 2008 3:36 pm

^Excellent observation. Hadn't thought about it that way, but true. -Q
Back to top Go down
Reply to topic
Sponsored content

Palm collapses and lays off people . . . THIS is sad Empty

Back to top Go down
Reply to topic
Palm collapses and lays off people . . . THIS is sad View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
oldS.A.W. :: 

Community

:: 

News Section

-

| WWW.SMARTAPPSWORLD.COM |
| Contact Us | F.A.Q. | Forum Rules |
Create a forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com